Wednesday, May 30, 2012

What the F@#k is Fennel? At Cutty's Brookline

This weekend I took a little stroll up Harvard Ave and ended up at Cutty's sandwich shop on Washington st. in Brookline. Tucked away about half a block up on the left from where Washington and Harvard split, I'd heard that this place has some of the best sandwiches in town and I wasn't disappointed.  Recognized by the Phantom Gourmet and winner of Best of Boston's: Best Sandwich Shop 2011 and Zagat's top 5 Best New Restaurants in Boston, Cutty's just hosted the Food network's own Guy Fieri for an upcoming episode of Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives.  For a gourmet sandwich under $10 with that much noise behind it, Cutty's was worth the walk from dirty ole Allston.

The menu has all sorts of tasty options (Roast beef, salami, capicola, mortadella, ham, egg salad) but I went with one of the Saturday only sandoozlers, the Pork Fennel on a seasame hardroll with roasted garlic. 

Fresh-ass pork and whatever the flip fennel is 
The Sandwich: I didn't know what fennel was before, still don't know now but pickle it and slice it like Cutty's did and I won't ask too many questions.  Whatever it is, the fennel brought a crispy sweet tang that went well with the tender pork and the roast garlic spread.  The sesame roll was a little tough for my taste, which is one of the reason's I'll be trying the Roast Beef 1000(Slow-roasted beef, shallots, thousand island, sharp cheddar and brioche) the next time I make the trip, but overall a totally welcome, surprising and delicious adventure to one of Boston's hidden little gems.

BONUS: Check this thing out
Saw this while I was chowing down and was blown away by how far toddler skateboarding technology has come.  
"Come at me bro"

No comments:

Post a Comment