Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Pillowfight


Strikers, exciting news! I was on Joseph Gordon Levitt's twitter half an hour ago and followed a link on a whim to the new Dan the Automator project, Pillowfight. It's really fantastic. Like, I-can't-stop-listening-to-it-on-repeat-and-I-just-bought-A$AP-Rocky's-new-album levels of fantastic. For some context, I've been waiting for Live.Love.A$AP for months and months and now it sits completely forgotten in my iTunes library.  This doesn't happen to me often and when it does I know better than to fight it. Pillowfight is goddamn great.
I know there's a lot of stuff out there on the internet that's tempting besides this but please please please give it a shot.  The sound is elegant and dope, with Dan's handcrafted beats filling in the cracks around Emily Wells' seductive crooning, this supergroup oozes cool out of every pore.  Every song makes me think of an old jazz bar complete with smoke, scotch, and a lonely songstress crying every night over the microphone. Except this time her backing band has turntables and 808's.

They're also brand spanking and shiny new on the scene and came out of nowhere. Their twitter has not even 200 followers and before yesterday they'd only released two tracks. One of which is the ardently earnest, "Get Your S*** Together" which is not to be missed. How this came together under the radar with the mind that helped bring the world Deltron 3030 and Gorillaz is beyond me. Listen to the rest of the new album on huffpost that was released yesterday. Thanks JGL for the heads up on this one. Get in on the ground floor with Pillowfight and watch this rocket take off.

 Bonus: This is what comes up when you google Pillowfight

No comments:

Post a Comment