Tuesday, February 5, 2013

C+ for Super Bowl Commercials This Year


The Ravens beat the 49ers 34-31 in Super Bowl XXVLLXLXLLXIIIXIVLMMMMCXIVILIII last night, despite everyone believing the game would be a defense-dictating, low-scoring affair at the Superdome in New Orleans. Joe Flacco won the MVP, and older brother John beat Jim Harbaugh. Ray Lewis' last ride went until the train ran out of tracks. A great game, complete with a power failure and a Jerome Boger as the head referee, but for this disgruntled borderline Patriot fans and for fans somewhere in the middle of the 3,000-mile gap between the two warring cities, their attention once again turned to the famous Super Bowl commercials.

SB commercials have had a long history of costing way too much money to air 30-seconds for either shock-value based trash or in vain attempts to get you to laugh. Their affects usually last only until the game comes back on, but there are always those two or three that you will remember. This year, there were about six that I'll remember, but only three that I like enough to talk about some more.

For starters, can someone explain to me what Doritos M.O. is? When's the last time you saw one of their commercials? February 2012? During the Super Bowl? Either way, their first appearance, just minutes into the game was a solid showing and one of my favorites on the night. Anytime there is a man and goat roommate situation, it will have my undivided attention and in this case, it comes in at number three.


Number two is from a brand that has been on my top three commercial list since they were using frogs and chameleons in their ads. The Budweiser Clydesdale commercial once again impressed, this time with an ending that could have conceivably made a grown man tear up...not that I know if any did or not, I'm just saying...



And finally, if you didn't think this was the best commercial going, then I'm not mad, I'm just angrily disappointed.


Plenty of commercials came and went, and if you were hoping for another showing of the GoDaddy.com commercial or the old people Taco Bell commercial, then you are out of luck, my friend, because I thought they were pretty terrible. They dragged on for too long and both made me uncomfortable in their own unique ways. But in all seriousness now, what is the point of these commercials? I understand over 100 million people will see them, but is it worth the money? Do sales of Doritos skyrocket starting that Monday morning, or have these commercials just become a spectacle?

Don't get me wrong, I love seeing them, especially in a year like this where I had no real investment in either team, but am I the only one who thinks that maybe just some of that money could be used for good? If I'm getting preachy, I apologize, but think about it. Lay's potato chips aren't going to start collecting dust on a grocery store shelf because they didn't run a commercial, are they? I guess my point in all of this is, take GoDaddy.com for example. How many of you know what they do? How many use that site? How many actually visit it thinking you're going to see someone naked that they didn't show you in a commercial? Answers: Not enough. Not many. And way too many.

No comments:

Post a Comment