Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Why April Should be for Baseball

 Setting the clocks an hour back and putting away your winter coats means one thing: Spring.  And spring equals baseball season.  So why then, every time I turn on ESPN or ESPN 2, all they are talking about is the NFL Draft?  If I have to see John Gruden's "Quarterback Confessional" or whatever the hell its called one more time, I'm going to lose my mind.

Baseball just started, the season isn't even 20 games old, and already its taking a backseat to football, and with the NBA playoffs around the corner, basketball, too.  I understand that the NFL Draft is coming up, but everyone knows Andrew Luck is going to go with the first pick.  I don't care about seeing Merrill Hodge and Mel Kiper Jr talk about the same stuff day after day, analyzing who the Chargers will pick in the 15th round.  It's a joke.

America's national pastime is baseball.  Fenway Park just celebrated its 100th anniversary, and ESPN feigned interest by talking about it the day of, and that was it.  In any sport, no facility has been around for 100 years, the closest is Wrigley Field at 98 years young.  Opening Day has been in April practically since the dawn of time.  I completely understand that not everyone is a fan of baseball; a lot of people think its too slow or boring, or just don't like the sport.  That's cool, you're an idiot if that's you, but I get it.  But am I being illogical thinking that it should get more attention than a sport that won't play a regular season game until almost five months from now?

Is anyone else as pissed off as I am?  April is for baseball, and I'll allow the Stanley Cup Playoffs.  So why are 35 minutes of Sportscenter devoted to football in the middle of the spring? Thank God I can watch ESPN3 so I can pick and choose my highlights.

No comments:

Post a Comment