Wednesday, December 18, 2013

The Return Of The Gato


"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail..."

Right... My boy Ralph Waldo Emerson may have had a point, but I'm sure he wasn't suggesting that I walk where "there is no path and leave a trail," which I did in the fury that was Boston's second snowstorm in as many days (I went to sleep before it snowed Saturday so technically I'm right).

While tapping into my inner-Emerson-Gato, I planned accordingly as far as my departure and pace (ice/snow can make someone who prepares for nothing to do so) from work. What  normally is a 40 minute commute, didn't allow me arrive at my destination in Allston until 7 p.m.  How does this all relate to TibS? Well it doesn't, unless you dig deeper.

Let me help you.

So as usual the MBTA can be undependable when the weather is good, but factor in snow, and it's more likely you'll see Halley's Comet than a bus or anything MBTA-related arrive on time. After a 45-minute wait, I decided to put my faith in my two legs and walk from Brookline to Allston.

A mere two mile walk which isn't too bad but in the snow storm, well let's just say I felt like I was one of the members from the Fellowship. I found myself appreciating anything related to heat, dry, and those who try to make all the other things much more bearable. I found many a people shoveling sidewalks in front of  their homes. While on this walk I noticed and appreciated the sidewalks that WERE shoveled.

So this post is a shout out to all the public workers who were in the eye of the storm who made every effort to make the street and certain sidewalks manageable. To those good people braving the storm, excluded from the city's payroll. To all those mentioned that enabled me to name this post it's name.

THANK YOU.

- Champagne Gato

P.S. - This post relates to #TibS by citing the appreciation of good people. Good people who do everything such as delivering mail, stopping a puck from entering a net, hitting a game tying grand slam in the bottom of the 8th,  selling insurance, teaching America's future youth, and yes, even those who shovel sidewalks to create a semi-clear path for Champagne Gato to get home in one piece. Goodnight or hello, good morning.


No comments:

Post a Comment