Monday, September 17, 2012

WWE Night of Champions - 27 Dollars Well Spent



There were no better video games growing up than wrestling video games.  The Rock, Lex Luger, Triple H, Mankind, Stone Cold Steve Austin, The Undertaker.  I could go on for days.  Whenever wrestling is on TV, I still find myself watching a few matches.  But on Sunday night at the TD Garden, WWE Night of Champions was in town, and with tickets at $27, I wasn't about to let that opportunity slip away.

After the Bills game, Bill, Span and myself headed over to the Garden, grabbed tickets from the box office, got some food and another beer then headed to the show.  We sat a little behind the stage entrance in the upper balcony, but at an event like that, you go more for the atmosphere than the show.  And there was no shortage of atmosphere.  From guys screaming marriage proposals at the girls during the Diva Championship, to the entire crowd begging for Sheamus' Brogue Kick to be reinstated by Smackdown commissioner Booker T, this place was electric.

Once my heart rate slowed and I stopped sweating from the crazy amounts of fireworks being shot off inside, it turned out to be 100 percent worth the price of admission.  I found myself getting into the fights, especially when the night started with a 16-man battle royal.  If you're unaware of how that works, just as I was to begin the night, its literally 16 guys in the same ring who duke it out, last one remaining inside the ropes wins.

It was cool to see guys I recognized, like Randy Orton (his finishing move in the video above was on fine display last night), Kane, and John Cena. Cena losing the WWE Championship belt because his match ended in a draw was a heart-breaker, with the news coming as we were halfway down the stairs of our section on the way out.  But the news was a delight to the CM Punk fans in the stand, who got to keep the belt til his next challenge.  Cena is a Boston guy, so I guess I have to do my homework on why everyone loves CM so much.

Being out of the loop with all the chants and characters was strange, but being in the loop with reality is a lot nicer.

No comments:

Post a Comment