Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Yunel Escobar Gets Suspended For Being an Idiot


Blue Jays infielder Yunel Escobar is currently serving a three-game suspension for some questionable writing on his eye black in a game last weekend.

The offensive term was written in Spanish, but it didn't slip past anyone.  Under the right eye, it said "tu ere," which means "you are" translated to English.  No harm there.  But under the left eye, "maricon."  Now, I've learned that when translated in English, that word means "faggot."  Not cool.

A three game suspension is getting off easy if you ask me.  At least three more should be tacked on for plain stupidity.  But the whole situation was blown way out of proportion if you ask Escobar.

"I have friends who are gay. The person who decorates my house is gay, the person who cuts my hair is gay. I have various friends who are gay. Honestly, they haven't felt as offended about this. They have just a different understanding in the Latin community of this word," Escobar said.  "That's not the significance that I put into it. That's a word used often within teams. It's a word without meaning, the way we use it."

I don't buy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment